Camellia sasanqua ‘Cleopatra’ ~ BOX-Head tree
Fantastic for a very architectural effect, large box shaped canopies. Lovingly created for a big impact, being evergreen these are ideal for all year round interest. Camellia sasanqua is the Autumn flowering Camellia, and ‘Cleopatra’ has stunning pink flowers. Sasanqua have smaller leaves than Camellia japonica, and tougher. So trained as an evergreen tree makes for one of the most unique flowering features in the garden. This pleached option for screening or as an architectural feature is amazing, but it does need a sheltered site.
- DFG rating: 10/10
- Evergreen pruned into a large box-shape (cube) canopy.
- 20-25cm girth standard tree.
- Cube dimensions are 120cm x 120cm x 120cm.
- Small leathery oval green leaves.
- Blooms in Autumn.
- Pale pink flowers.
- Hardy to -10c in a very sheltered spot.
- Soil must be Acid, it is fine to plant in lightly acidic soil, but you will need to plant the trees with plenty of ericaceous compost. And then keep feeding the trees three times a year, with ericaceous fertiliser in April, July and October.